APAC R&D Manager
Location: Taiwan-Kuei Jen Shiang-Tainan Shien
Job Type: Full-Time
Establish goals and tasks for team members that align to the goals set by the Chief Technology Officer and other business leaders. Drive the transition of products developed in R&D to successful and timely implementation to production. Drive conformance to global standards as established by the global R&D team. Train, develop and motivate subordinates to achieve their professional goals and review their accomplishments. Also, based on the customer’s requests, coordinate the product development teams’ efforts to develop new materials that suit customer needs in weight, color, hardness. Support robust global communication practices that accurately and quickly communicate project status, issues and solutions with customers both internal and external.
Drive team to achieve a “right first time” product validation process that meets the business expectation of time to market metrics. Manage the APAC Manufacturing Engineering expenses per profit plan goals. Support manufacturing with troubleshooting on issues in production or quality, and cost out initiatives. Manage IP initiatives to protect confidential product and process creations. Participate in the creation of product and technology road maps based on the global business strategy. This role will also support the current facility personal with the continuous developments of MESH, MFG Pro, EQS, ELS and other related EBE activities within the R&D team.
Help drive innovation and R&D when appropriate. The main focus of the engineering teams in Taiwan and Thailand is to implement new products into production. There will be times when R&D activities are conducted in Asia and it is expected to have full cooperation and enthusiasm to accomplish those objectives.
- Product Development: establish product development initiatives and deliverables, consistent with the business goals. Continuously improve upon the design of products, materials, process engineering, part validation, tooling creation and sample production. Coordinate structured meetings with plant personnel and the global R&D team to guide Retail & OEM new products in their development. Support and provide technical input at customer meetings for the creation of new products, or in resolving customer issues with grip quality of performance.
- Manufacturing Engineering: Lead the product development teams transitioning new products into production. Establish production standards of new products & new processes. Establish relationships with manufacturing management and production scheduling to ensure appropriate development time is available for prototypes and testing
- Material Development: coordinate and delegate the developments in new rubber compounds including adjustments to material formulas and process parameters to meet cost, quality and/or performance. Adherence to tightly controlled global formula standards is required. Coordinate and verify new rubber compound development, new paint development, and any change request to compound, process or tooling. Align closely with US based material specialist to establish standard work and global communication procedures and tools. Support and direct chemistry team members to continuously improve the materials physical properties, processing yields or part cost.
- Communication: Lead the daily communication between APAC Engineering and R&D. Inspire the Taiwan and Thailand teams to embrace English as the common technical language. Lead the Taiwan and Thailand teams reporting objective goals and updates in a concise, understandable format. Interpret international communication and establish priorities.
- Eaton Process Disciplines: Support and supervise the operation of PROLaunch (NPD stage gate) and SSDD (six sigma design) of new product development. Supervise ISO 9001, ISO 14001 & Mesh system of RD department EBS and EQS activities of the RD department.
- Set goals, assign tasks, track progress and perform annual and semi-annual reviews of R&D engineers within APEX system to ensure continuous improvement and increased expectations
- Guide short production runs for sample and prototypes per customer request or for product testing. Provide insight and direction to team members on NPD practices that are rapid (meeting customer delivery expectations), but are also seen as an opportunity to prove a concepts manufacture-ability, its cost and quality.
- Creates new test procedures that will enhance product performance, product quality and customer confidence. New test procedures shall be documented and tightly controlled.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, or engineering from an accredited institution
- 10 years of experience in a R & D environment ( process development )
- Demonstrated English language capability (Written and verbal).
- Strong technical skills on rubber process development, new product development, materials, process engineering, mass production.
- Well organized and able to manage numerous projects with clear priority and direction. Be level headed yet have a sense of urgency to push projects to completion.
- Logical, methodical problem solving skills are needed. The individual must be able to identify the root cause of a technical issue and direct a systematic method to find a solution.
- Attend various materials, golf show, seminars and workshops pertaining to R & D to keep abreast of ever-changing concepts and networks.
- The position requires a strong personality to drive change in an organization that operates in traditional (and often times outdated) methods. The individual must strike a balance not upsetting what is working in this successful business, yet have the drive and charisma to persuade others to accept change and continuously improve standard practices.
- The individual must lead by example, showing initiative and drive, and willingness to continuously be better every day.
Eaton is a global technology leader in power management solutions that provides energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton has more than 100,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. At Eaton, we see things differently. We see opportunities to innovate, go above and beyond, and we work hard because what we do reflects who we are. If you see things differently—if you’re determined, motivated and focused on improving the world around you—then it’s time to see where a career at Eaton can take you. For more information, visit www.eaton.com/careers. Eaton is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Eaton is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.