Global Design Leader
Primary Location: Southern Pines, NC
The primary responsibility of this role is to develop and manage a global design team that will consistently deliver compelling visual design for our grips and establish Golf Pride as a recognized leader in design in the golf industry. Golf Pride is the clear #1 leader in grips and it is growing by transforming the grip category and changing the perception of grips from “handles” to “performance equipment.”
The incumbent will manage 2D and 3D design encompassing the entire design process from artwork/renderings to 3D tooling Design is a critical factor in driving our success. The leader will transform our design team, systems, and processes and create a design capability from 2D concept renderings to 3D tooling design that can consistently deliver compelling designs that excite both our customers and our end consumers.
You will strategically plan and anticipate design team deliverables on a 3 year forward looking horizon, establish minimum designer capabilities required to support the global direction, and take necessary action to provide needed capabilities.
The candidate for the role will also develop and manage a team of inside and outside designers that can flex appropriately to the workload and manage all of the design projects with a workflow management system that ensures on time delivery. They will lead the Global Design Team Workload, based in USA, Taiwan and Pune, by organizing and prioritizing the schedules of the global design teams utilizing resource management tools created to predict future workloads.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Comprehensively lead design from initial concept renderings through working with outside agencies and the internal marketing team, to initial 3D designs for digital renderings and physical prototyping, to final tooling design that we deliver to Golf Pride suppliers.
- Manage the modernization and standardization of the design process within Golf Pride for product design and tooling design.
- Develop macros and advanced modeling techniques to improve the 3D creation of grip sizes, textures, and graphics for both swing and putter grips increasing speed and efficiency.
- Oversee the creation of a 3D database for legacy products and all future designs that include ready to use libraries of textures, logos, and graphics.
- Establish standard design work, design checklists, and standard technical data packages for rapid and accurate transfers between design teams.
- Champion Global Change Management including ensuring all design documentation is managed and controlled in a central database (ENOVIA) in accordance with Change Management Policies.
- Eliminate Golf Pride’s dependency on our Taiwan tooling supplier.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in 3D concept design, product design, mechanical design, design for manufacturing, and tooling design.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience of consumer product design and molded part design
- Minimum of 3 years leading a product design or development team
- Minimum of 3 years of proven leadership ability to manage remote teams
- Must be able to work in the United States without corporate sponsorship now and within the future
- Advanced degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in an advanced concept development role
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in rapid prototyping
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in golf, sporting goods, or consumer products industries
- Minimum of 5 years working knowledge of document standards, document control, and change management
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience with RhinoCAD 3D
- Experience managing graphic designers, illustrators, and/or industrial designers
- CAD Software: AutoCAD, ProE, SolidWorks, NX Unigraphics,
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite of Applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Basic Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a matrix environment, get results and drive change through others.
- Effective oral and written communication skills as well as planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage by influence through solid relationships and process focus
- Ability to effectively present results and recommendations to senior-level executive team.
- Leverage expertise from other Eaton divisions to continuously improve design standards.
- Elevate the skillsets of designers, providing them the tools and resources needed for transitioning into 3D design, making them capable of producing fast, accurate 3D product and tooling designs.
- Manage outside design resources in support of Golf Pride design strategy
- Manage all Rapid Prototype development and sourcing in support of Global Innovation Center initiatives
- Ensure IP security is top of mind by establishing best practices for confidentiality
- Ensure design standards are compatible with tooling suppliers.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: HYD GOLF Golf Division
Job Level: Manager
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: Yes
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within United States and / or Puerto Rico
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time