Golf Pride – Director of Finance
Location: Pinehurst, North Carolina
Eaton’s Golf Pride business is currently seeking a Director of Finance to join our team. This position is based at the Pinehurst, NC facility and relocation assistance is offered.
Golf Pride is a global leading brand in golf equipment and is looking to fill its most senior financial leadership role. The Director of Finance (external title) leads as the “CFO” of Golf Pride and is officially a Division Controller inside Eaton. This role reports directly to the Golf Pride President and functionally (dotted line) to the Eaton Industrial Sector SVP of Finance. The role is based at Golf Pride’s Global Innovation Center (GIC) in Pinehurst, NC, next to Pinehurst Resort’s #8 golf course.
Golf Pride Background:
By some measures, Golf Pride is the fifth largest golf equipment brand in the world. Golf Pride produces grips for both club makers (like Callaway or Titleist) as well as grips sold directly to golf consumers (at places like PGA Tour Superstore). More than 80% of tour pros use Golf Pride grips without endorsement contracts. Golf Pride estimates that it serves between 5-7 million golfers around the world every year. It operates two world class factories in Taiwan and Thailand and manages two distribution centers in the US and UK. The global Golf Pride team includes more than 1,100 people around the world with about 50 people at the GIC in Pinehurst. The GIC is both the global headquarters for Golf Pride and the central location for all growth, innovation, and design development activities at Golf Pride.
Leadership Role Description:
This role is the senior most financial leadership role at Golf Pride and operates in many ways as the “CFO” of Golf Pride inside Eaton. It is a core member of the Golf Pride Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and involved in all aspects of decision making on the business with the President and the other functional leaders. In this role, you will be required to think creatively about where and how to invest in Golf Pride’s growth and development while at the same time delivering accretive financial returns to Eaton.
Golf Pride Business Leadership: In this role, you will work closely with the President and the other functional leaders of the business. You will be primarily responsible for the internal financial planning process. You will be the primary point person setting financial performance expectations with Eaton (our only financial stakeholder). At the same time, you work with the other functional leaders of the business to make sure we deliver those expectations while also funding our innovation and growth activities. You lead the annual profit planning process and the monthly forecasting and close cycles (connected to SIOP). The key to the role is being able to deliver an attractive return to Eaton while helping Golf Pride also make the investments it needs for long term success.
Eaton Functional Leadership: In this role, you also report functionally (dotted line) to the SVP of Finance for the Industrial Sector. You are responsible for fulfilling all of Eaton’s functional requirements for planning, reporting, analysis, and compliance. You must ensure that all aspects of Golf Pride’s finance and accounting activities are to Eaton’s standards and manage strong controls and regulatory compliance globally. You are accountable for quality planning, reporting, and compliance at all Golf Pride sites (US GIC, UK, Taiwan, and Thailand). You work directly with the Industrial Sector Finance team as needed to make sure that Golf Pride’s results roll up accurately within the Eaton financial systems.
You will manage a global team of 8 people across three sites (US, Taiwan, and Thailand)
GIC Global Finance Team – 3 people (Pinehurst, NC)
- Directly managed by the Director of Finance
- Responsible for division level planning, reporting, analysis, and decision making.
Plant Finance Teams – 5 people
- Directly managed by Plant Managers (Taiwan and Thailand)
- Functionally responsible to coach and develop these teams and tie into division level planning.
- Partner with the President on all key financial decisions at Golf Pride
- Lead from a thoughtful financial perspective as a core member of Golf Pride’s SLT
- Build and finance and account team that can effectively support the growth and development of Golf Pride while at the same time consistently delivering on our financial commitments to Eaton
- Develop and drive internal planning processes (especially Profit Planning and the monthly forecasting process) that allow us to make reasonable commitments and deliver them.
- Partner with cross-functional leaders to develop a broad understanding of the business and what is happening operationally behind the numbers that we report.
- Actively manage our commitments to Eaton around revenue, margin, profit, and cash and work cross-functionally inside Golf Pride to make sure we can deliver on those commitments.
- Work with the Commercial Controller to ensure that we are proactively managing price and our gross margins in an inflationary environment
- Lead our cost modeling and cost accounting efforts to ensure that our business leaders have accurate cost data to help them make sound business decisions.
- Partner with other SLT functional leaders to ensure that are actively managing our free cash performance (CAPEX, DOH, DPO, and DSO) as well as our profit performance.
- Lead financial, operational, and commercial conversations with Industrial Sector Leadership to explain month-end and forecast variances.
- Direct the regular financial processes for the Golf Pride division including closing the books, forecasting, planning, reporting, analysis, and any corrective action needed to close gaps.
- Assure the existence and competency of financial systems and procedures to comply with GAAP and corporate policies and procedures to guarantee the integrity of financial reporting.
- Ensure that the internal control environment is adequately maintained and in compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Work with Sector and corporate finance organizations (i.e., treasury, tax, audit) in improving financial processes, implementing policy changes, and executing strategies and initiatives.
- Partner with the President on long term strategic planning and larger investment decisions.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business from an accredited Institution
- Minimum eight (8) years of finance/accounting experience
- Experience within the manufacturing industry
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience managing people
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US without company sponsorship both now and in the future
- MS degree in Finance or Accounting, or MBA from an accredited institution
- 12+ years broad financial experience within manufacturing organizations.
- Proven managerial capability
- 4 years of broad international experience across financial disciplines, i.e., tax strategies, transfer pricing, currency hedging, statutory reporting, legal entity implications.
- Working knowledge of financial and ERP systems.
- Pronouncements of external regulatory bodies, such as Financial Accounting Standards Board, SEC, IRS, IASB, etc.
- Executive level leadership skills
- Org savvy skills with the ability to operate and influence across a matrixed global team
- Strong analytical capability with the ability to coach and develop others in this area
- A balanced mix of front-end commercial exposure (ideally in a branded consumer product environment) and back end operational experience.
- Acts as a trusted business partner – sees the big picture – provides broad thought leadership.
- Creates, promotes, and sustains a performance culture. Continuously raises the performance bar for the finance organization.
- Must be capable of evaluating talent and building organizational capability. Requires good mentoring and coaching skills.
- Effectively drives and manages change, challenges the status quo and champions new and innovative ideas.
- Exhibits managerial courage and willing to support and make tough decisions that help Golf Ride grow and develop
- Effectively leverage functional and cross-functional resources to solve problems, improve processes and meet objectives.
- General knowledge of all functional areas of the Group, Sector and Corporate organizations.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: GOLF Golf Division
Job Level: Director
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within United States and / or Puerto Rico
Travel: Yes, 10% of the Time