Lead Industrial Designer
Primary Location: Pinehurst, North Carolina
About Golf Pride® Grips
For five generations, Golf Pride® has been the global leader in golf grips. Throughout our history, Golf Pride® has believed in the importance of developing the best performing, most innovative grips for the world’s best golfers and amateurs alike. As the only brand that touches every golfer, we are obsessed with the connectedness of the hands on the club and this inspires every Golf Pride employee in everything we do. Combine that passion with the resources of Eaton, a $20B global leader that powers businesses worldwide, and it makes for an exciting place to work.
About the Position
Golf Pride® Grips, #1 golf grip brand worldwide, aims to further strengthen our product innovation team, and the global brand, with the assistance of an experienced and passionate Lead Industrial Designer.
This position reports directly to the Director of Innovation. This role will have the freedom required to build our design strategy and grow our creative network. You will collaborate with senior management to set up both a short and long-term design strategy to grow and push innovation.
As our Lead Industrial Designer, you will be directly responsible for establishing a design framework and translating that framework into a product design strategy that informs our current and future product portfolio. While the focus of the role will be product design, this individual will participate in and guide efforts outside of just product design to include retail fixtures and displays, products beyond grips, etc…
You will work directly with our Brand Manager to ensure that our Creative Design (2D) and our Industrial Design (3D) strategies are tightly linked and that together they present a compelling visual story to our customers. This individual will help develop our visual brand language and drive that all the way down to design elements that will shape the next decade of Golf Pride® offerings.
You will be responsible for designing customer research and helping the team execute that research in way that identifies unmet needs consistently. This role will also be the heart and soul of programming and leading ideation sessions as we work to deliver breakthrough new offerings.
The ideal candidate is passionate about the game of golf and has a proven track-record of designing products and experiences that surprise and impress the customer.
In this role, you will:
- Lead front-end product design strategy using traditional Industrial Design (ID) methods to identify problems, create solutions and work with development partner teams.
- Lead and participate in the design review process at Golf Pride to ensure all new physical creations are in alignment with our brand purpose.
- Develop an agency strategy (ID firms in particular) that supports our growth ambitions (2x the business in 10 years).
- Inspire teams to push the boundaries past common solutions focusing on human-centered design recommendations.
- Lead and apply quantitative and qualitative research to optimize or validate design decisions.
- Be an active participant in player research & testing.
- Plan and facilitate Design Thinking workshops across the organization.
- Collaborate directly with Eaton’s Human Centered Design Center of Excellence.
- Identify and develop partnerships/relationships with folks on the leading edge of product innovation.
- Collaborate with product teams to ensure design quality throughout the build phase.
- Prototype the portfolio for putter grips, swing grips, grip install and products beyond grips to keep the team energized and bounding into the future.
You are a good fit for this role if you are :
- A collaborator – you love working through design problems with a team and are open and thoughtful when giving and receiving feedback.
- A team-builder – you are interested in being the “tip of the design spear” at Golf Pride and building an ecosystem to support the next decade of creative work.
- A big-picture thinker – you always consider the impact of the overall experience when making a design decision
- A problem solver – you can run your own user research sessions, ask the right questions and quickly iterate to a final, well-thought-out solution.
- A communicator – you understand front-end development, which allows you to work effortlessly with developers.
- A Self-Educator – You stay up to date with the latest design trends, tactics and methodologies.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design
- 10+ years of product design
- Strong visual communication skills (hand sketching and digital)
- Experience managing agency partners
- Comfortable with both physical and digital product design experiences
- Must have an online portfolio of research and design that can be accessed via link on resume or application.
- Ability to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship
- Willing to relocate to Pinehurst, North Carolina
- 5+ years in Product Innovation or New Product Development
- Experience applying design thinking tools and methodologies
- Exposure to the 10 Types of Innovation Framework (Doblin)
- Solidworks user expertise
- Experience with business development activities
- Work experience in Consumer Products
- Authentic connection to the game of golf
- Desire to travel up to 25% domestic and internationally.
- Build strong relationships and operating rhythms with leaders inside and outside the core design team.
- Scale Industrial design capability internally and externally.
As a contractor with the Federal government, Eaton is subject to the Executive Order mandating COVID-19 vaccination. As permitted by applicable law, the candidate(s) hired under this posting must provide evidence of full vaccination as defined by CDC guidelines, or request a medical, pregnancy or religious accommodation exempting them from the requirement. Vaccination status will not be verified until after an offer of employment is provided, and candidates may also request a medical, pregnancy or religious accommodation at that time.
Eaton also considers qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with local laws. To request a disability-related reasonable accommodation to assist you in your job search, application or interview process, please call 412-893-3600 or send an email to: AccommodationsForApplying@Eaton.comWhat you will get from us
Eaton’s mission is to improve the quality of life and the environment through the use of power management technologies and services. We provide sustainable solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power – more safely, more efficiently and more reliably. Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours. Eaton’s 2020 revenues were $17.9 billion, and we sell products to customers in more than 175 countries. We have approximately 85,000 employees.
We make work exciting, engaging and meaningful for our employees through our dedication to tackling some of the toughest power management challenges on the planet and by never losing sight of what matters. Our culture is built on a strong commitment to practicing our core values and supporting our employees with the tools they need to succeed. We pledge to always foster a diverse and inclusive environment, including inclusion resource groups that bring together employees who share a common purpose, interest or background. In the past year, our company has received top employment recognition by the Human Rights Campaign and almost fifty percent of our Board of Directors represented diverse groups. When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We have demonstrated our passion for sustainability with the recent announcement of cutting carbon emissions from the company’s operations by at least 50 percent by 2030. We are ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and committed to learning. We are confident we can deliver on our promise to improve the quality of life and the environment because of the attributes that our employees embody.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: GOLF Golf Division
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time